Children’s personality and well-being is the result of your parenting. The way you treat your kids affect them emotionally, either they become strong or weak.
In my opinion parenting is not an easy task, it is a challenge. Parents doing a task in which they are not trained, they haven’t learnt about it.
So here I tried to explore that what our spiritual gurus (teachers) says about parenting that can help children as well as parents in many respects.
- You child comes through you not from you, he is not your property or future investment, they are a separate entity.
- By taking all the decisions for your child you make them dependent on you.
- By Doing things for your child, you are making them attached with you.
- By the twelve years of age of your child you are supposed to fulfil all the basic needs.
- Don’t try to behave like a boss they just need to spend some quality time with you.
- When children are growing, they need a friend to share their feelings not mother-father who always tries to discipline them.
- Let them free to explore and decide, your job is to guard them against illegal advice of others.
- Let them to make mistakes and realize, and help them only when they seek help.
- Your child is not you making, it’s a privilege, enjoy the privilege.
- They learn from their own perspective and ask questions, try to answer them as many as you can.
- Children don’t listen they observe. They watch you and follow your actions.
- Before raising children, raise yourself.
- Don’t raise your kids to have more than you had, raise them to be more than you were.
- Don’t give them all the comforts, make them to be balanced in every situation.
- Make them able to have control over their emotions, intellect, and senses.
- Make them King, Kind who rule their own emotions and senses.
- Without being ruler over himself, he cannot rule over anyone else.
- Make them emotionally, physically, intellectually, spiritually and socially strong.
- Your priority should be to make your child strong not just comfortable.
- Be attentive to their habits.
- Parenting means everything being done for the welfare of the child in every respect that is overall well-being of the child.
- Temporary comfort can convert into long term addiction.
Gaur Gopal Das
- You can be technically right but your child can also be practically right, try to see beyond the obvious and find the reason of your child’s particular behaviour.
- Don’t be so possessive and overprotective to your child give them some space to grow.
- Let them to make decisions it will lead them to become mature.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- Don’t make your child addicted to mobile phone, video games and cartoons because it develops attention deficit syndromes in children.
- Let multiple talent blossom in them by letting them to learn music, yoga, sports etc. it will help them to choose career.
- Pay attention to your child’s surroundings such as friends and relatives, and teachers because they influence your child more than you.
- Focus on child’s language because language leads action.
- Try to behave like a friend of your child after 16 years of age because children need friends not authority.
- Don’t try to control them otherwise they won’t listen to you and become rebellious.
- If you want to make an impact on your child to do something you must have to practice it first.
- You should spend some time with your children and help them to practice good things such as reading books, mediation etc.
- Parenting is an opportunity to become a better person.
Charu, Founder of PsychoSafari, is an Assistant Professor at Amity University and have research interest in Positive Psychology. She is a certified Guidance Psychologist and Counsellor.